Food Waste Management in Singapore

Unused food is being thrown away every single day across the globe. In 2015 alone, the amount of food waste generated in Singapore hit 785,000 tonnes – about 2 rice bowls of food per person every day – only 13% of which was recycled. The remaining 87% was disposed of in landfills. There is an urgent need to conserve landfill space as Singapore has only one landfill — Pulau Semakau — and it will run out of space sooner than expected with the increasing amount of waste generated.

In line with the National Environment Agency’s (NEA) initiative to become a Zero Waste Nation by reducing, reusing and recycling waste, we aim to provide a solution to managing food waste in a very convenient and safe way.

Food waste management is something everyone can play a part in, because unlike metals or plastics, there are no special treatments required to process food waste.

Food Waste Management - Smart Cara

We offer Food Waste Digesters to cater to your needs, ranging from 1kg to 20kg.

Our high performance Food Waste Digesters are capable of converting food waste into compost. Under optimized controlled temperatures, the Maeko Bio-Microbes™ in our food waste machines function at accelerated rates to break down food waste quickly.

Our wide range of digester capacities ensure that we have a digester fit for your expectations. From corporates to schools to homes, our digesters will have your needs fully covered.

All of our products have been certified and patented.

We provide education services in the following areas:

  • Assembly talks
  • Specifically-designed enrichment programs
    (Educating students on Environmental Science and Sustainability)
  • Food Waste Learning Journeys

We believe that every little bit helps in the conservation of our environment, and what better way to help than to educate the future of Singapore on environmental sustainability and eco-friendliness? Through our educational programmes, we aim to inculcate green practices and habits in schools, and show students that everyone can play their part in conserving the environment.

To view our latest Food Waste Manager (Smart Cara), click here.

Interested in our solutions?
Kindly contact us at for more information.